Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Tale of Two Meals: Apahap sa Azuthai

The second meal was lunch at Azuthai, the new Thai restaurant at the ground floor of the Milky Way building along Pasay Road. I had also heard many good things about the restaurant, so I was pretty excited to try it.

I wasn't disappointed. We had the papaya salad, the pomelo shrimp salad, apahap in tamarind sauce, penang beef curry, morning glory (kangkong!), and the ever reliable, ever present pad thai. I loved the salad and the apahap. The sauce of the curry was excellent but the beef was rather tasteless. The kangkong was also a winner. I do recommend one orders plain white rice, better to sop up the sauces.

I just had to try the desserts. The water chestnuts in coconut milk was a streamlined halohalo with the dyed water chestnuts providing crunch. The mango with sticky rice was also quite good (but I thought the one in People Palace was a tad better). I didn't care too much for the Tako, but it might appeal to the less sugar-inclined.

Prices are on the steep side but not to heights set by PP or Silk. Service was excellent; but don't believe the nice serbidora when she says mild is spicy enough. I was skeptical but unfortunately, she did manage to convince us to stay on the safe side.

I almost forgot, we had Thai take out a couple of weeks ago; equally good and loads more inexpensive. More on the next blog.